These days, we’re all bound to have a day when the world feels a bit heavy. Whether you’re feeling angry with our political climate, anxious over COVID, or just down because you’re lacking a sense of normalcy, your feelings are valid. Our world probably isn’t going back to “normal” anytime soon. Being an empath, I often find myself feeling overwhelmed by the negative emotions of others. I think there is a line between providing emotional support for others, & taking their emotions on yourself. That’s a line that I’m still working on finding. I always say that we can’t control others but we can control our own reactions. Here’s a list of a few of my go-to things to do, when the weight of the world is a little too heavy.
- Call or text one of my friends, my mom, or my sister.
- Go for a walk. (John compares me to a houseplant because I NEED sunshine haha)
- Take a long, luxurious-feeling shower.
- Put on a favorite song & dance around.
- Snuggle with my pets.
- Do something that makes me feel strong & empowered, like a dance workout.
- Support an organization or cause that I feel passionate about.
These are all really simple things; nothing ground breaking. But I think the most helpful thing to do when you’re feeling discouraged or out of control of things, is to focus on the things you CAN control.
If you’re feeling down today, I hope that you find things you’re able to control to bring a little light back into your day.