I think it’s important for us to remember that while things are difficult & scary right now, we can still find joy & have fun. I wrote a post awhile ago about finding joy in everyday; of course, our everyday looks different now. We’re reading & hearing scary statistics in the news, feeling discouraged by unemployment rates, & missing our family & friends. It all feels very heavy, & right now is the time for us to lean a little bit extra on things that bring joy & light to our lives. Here’s a list of 10 things that have been making me happy lately!
- Zoom game nights/happy hours: We can’t be with our friends & family right now, & some days that’s heartbreaking. All we can do is find ways to still be able to connect until we can hang out in person again! I’ve been loving Zoom & FaceTime to catch up with friends, play games & watch movies together.
- Dancing: I’ve been breaking out into random dance parties around my apartment & also learning choreography on YouTube. Dance brings me peace & the endorphins lift my mood so much!
- Getting outside: I’ve noticed that some of my harder days are when I don’t get quality time outside-there’s something about the sunshine & fresh air that makes quarantine feel a lot more manageable.
- Baking cookies: I know it’s not the best for me physically BUT I’ve found baking cookies to be so comforting during this time.
- Playing the guitar: Learning new songs & just playing around on my guitar feels so cozy & comforting.
- Quality time with my little fam: being snuggled up with throw blankets, John & the pets makes everything seem a little more normal right now.
- Finding new ways to be creative: I joined an online photography group & that’s been a fun way to explore a new way to be creative & learn new skills!
- Spending time with my pets: Luke & Phoebe have been extra spoiled since I’ve been working from home. I’ve been loving the quality time with them!
- Watching funny shows: We binged Brooklyn 99 & are on to 30 Rock; I’m loving any show that makes me laugh right now!
- Seeing my students on Zoom: Being able to teach my lessons & feel a sense of routine has been reassuring, & those kiddos always make me smile!
These are some of the things that have been lifting my spirits lately! I hope these give you some things to try out if you’ve been feeling particularly uninspired or unmotivated lately. I’ve been trying to focus on doing small tasks that bring me joy after my workday is over. I’m very much a “glass half full” person usually, but lately I’ve been struggling. This list gives me so much to be thankful for. Let me know what’s been bringing you joy lately! Whatever you’re doing today, I hope you find some feelings of peace & happiness.